Saturday, January 22, 2005

TGIF

Its 7am ,Friday morning...I wander into my office, half asleep, counting the hours before its 5 in the evening and making plans for the weekend. Boss emails me with an excel sheet of some data which is obviously not formatted and therefore he can't get it into database, wants me update each entry manually. Me for once am delighted, that my boss has given me some mind numbing work, superrr...now I can happily dream and waste away the day without coding, aha ...the weekend has started early.

45 mins later, one of the traders screams , some system has gone down....me thinking .."oh lord..some people are going to be busy, not me coz I don't know squat about the applications they are running". My boss and another techie crowd around the servers looking tense, and then I hear the words from hell..." Who is updating XYZFDKO table? ". Even the best coffee has never had such an effect on me...I look up and say that it was me....I'm wide awake now! Super boss comes in , asks the team whose fault it was, 3 pairs of eyes look toward me....me thinking to myself "Ok deepak, your probation is going really well, you might have to consider reposting your resume on Monster"....... luckily enough, everybody recognised that although it was technically my fault, they really couldn't blame me, coz I was assigned the work and nobody knew that the server was going act that way. Anyway, end result, I was the butt of jokes that day ...phew!!! thank goodness for database restore....taught me one lesson though, I'm never ever going to do a delete, insert or update of a database without thinking twice!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home