Friday, October 29, 2004

The Final Frontier and the Curse

I'm writing this post even has laxman pulls one straight down to mc grath....another miserable indian loss, nothing new there I guess. But this loss is even more significant than ever especially since we finally give into the australian juggernaut. The Final Frontier has finally been conquered ! Steve Waugh's all conquering aussies weren't able to win a series in india, for that matter any aussie team that visited in the past 35 years. Its probably a historical event, if I can call it that, in the world of cricket.

Another event of "historical" importance took place in the world of baseball this week, the Boston Red Sox finally won the world series after 84 years, breaking the " The Curse of the Bambino". I'm no great fan of baseball, even though it has more similarities with cricket than any other sport. I find it quite boring actually, although the game is probably much shorter.(One of my pet peeves, why is it called the "World Series" ,when Boston is playing against St. Louis and the american baseball team can't even qualify for the olymics??). But I really rooted for the Bosox to win....I didn't know squat about the game till about 3 weeks back. So what brought about this change in me...well, the red sox were 0-3 in the division finals, facing none other than the mighty New York Yankees, what do you expect from a team that is 0-3 in the best of 7 series, just one match away from elimination.... well, they gave it all they had and beat the yankees 4-3, the biggest comebacks i've ever seen, made me an instant fan!!!

The only reason I'm writing this blog is because this week I was witness two great events in sporting history....one established by pure brilliance and the other by sheer incompetence. I don't think I need to explain which is which. But what pains me most is that India lost withouht even giving a fight, I didn't think the aussies were special this time. I think its fair to say that the Indians lost rather than saying that the Aussies won.

I guess the Indian team always finds a way to sink to the depths of infamy even after showing glimpses of glory....I really shouldn't be complaining, its been the same story ever since I started following cricket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home